Thursday, July 24, 2008

"You call that a life? This is a life!"


Remember that guy who tried to sell his life on Ebay after his wife left him? Turns out none of the top bids can go through with it.

I can't tell if my reaction is "oh you poor kid" or "well, did you really think it would work?"

The article quotes him as saying
"I am very surprised I am the only person out there with a bit of adventure. It is a bit of a shame, but never mind."
So, only six people wanted to buy his terrible life and now they can't take it, so he's entering into denial and assuming its everyone else's fault for not wanting to spend 2 million pounds for a tiny house, a boring middle management job, and friends this guy doesn't seem that upset to lose.

On the Daily Show two nights ago, during the Back in Black segment about how America was being bought by other countries, Donald Trump gives a similar statement about how he's disappointed no American stepped up to buy his ridiculously ugly and expensive property. That's right. It's totally our fault that we don't want your stuff.

I couldn't tell if I wanted to use a picture of the guy or Crocodile Dundee. And then I thought "hey, this is relevant. I would buy Dundee's life."

2 comments:

Cory Anotado said...

Well, to be fair, FTA:

"He said while all the bids had been genuine, all the bidders had experienced difficulties with either visas or getting hold of the cash in time."

Some people actually wanted his life. I can understand not being able to get a visa. Not having cash just means you're a schmuck. Don't bid on something you can't pay for. But it's not fair to shove this in his face, I don't think: he hit a really hard time in his life and thought of a novel way to cope with it.

If I had an extra million bucks lying around, I'd take his job. Australia's nice.

Diana Bailey said...

I was trying to make fun of his quote, not his situation.

If the first six people couldn't afford it, I think that's enough reason to open up the bidding again. Maybe the extra publicity he's getting from being dissapointed will help his cause.

I did debate (briefly) getting a few friends to pool our money together to buy his life. I don't want his job or his friends, but I could use a place in Australia.

But then I figured it'd be cheaper for us to pool our money to get a hotel room.

I would love to track down his ex-wife and interview her about all this.