Wednesday, July 30, 2008

More teenage parents than myspace!


I just watched the season finale of Baby Borrowers. The only reason I know this show exists is because they sent a promo to the newspaper I used to work for with their first two episodes (which the network said we weren't allowed to review. Just watch and mock, which we did). So when I saw the preview for the finale that promised to tell which couples remained together, I made a point to watch it.

The premise of the show is that young couples, kids 18 and 19, live in this neighborhood together. The first two nights the couple stays alone and "goes to bed with nothing happening" (two teenagers are alone in a house, there's no way they didn't bone). Then the couple gets to watch a baby for a few days, then a toddler, then a pre-teen, then an old person.

Spoiler alert:
none of the couples stay together. What I find extremely presumptuous is that the show tries to imply that its the reason for all the break-ups. Because high school couples don't break up before or during college? Because that's not perfectly normal, and would have happened whether these kids went on a reality TV show or not? Yes, NBC, its totally you're fault these couples broke up, and not the hot guy/girl living down the hall in their dorm.

Granted, the wedding I have coming up at the end of August is between two people who have been together since she was a sophomore in high school, but I'm gonna say they're the exception that proves the rule.

No comments: